Welcome to Rogue Valley Mentoring’s Resource Page for mentors!
We hope you find these offerings useful as you mentor in any capacity in your life, with RVM or otherwise.
If you have any suggestions for things we might add here, please contact Jenna@rvmentoring.org
“In order to be a mentor, and an effective one, one must care. You must care. You don’t have to know how many square miles are in Idaho, you don’t need to know what is the chemical makeup of chemistry, or of blood or water. Know what you know and care about the person, care about what you know and care about the person you’re sharing with.” — Maya Angelou
COVID Resources for Youth Mentors:
Should mentors discuss COVID-19 vaccines with their mentees? It’s complicated. – from The Chronicle of Evidence-based Mentoring, July 25th, 2021
Remote Activities for Mentors & Mentees – having trouble connecting with your mentee without meeting in-person? Here are some great ideas to help!
Local Resources for Youth Mentors:
- Hawthorne Park: solid, permanent exercise machines, like in a gym. Late murals under freeway across from exercise machines, water feature, and playground all available. Farmer’s Market here on Thursdays from 8:30 AM – 1:30 PM through Nov. 18th 2021.
- Rogue Gallery and Art Center: sometimes has a local high school student art exhibit
- Hike Roxy Ann: head to Prescott Park to hike Roxy Ann Peak
- Check Library Newsletter: they have take home or to your mentor activities.
- Hike Table Rocks
- Moonbow Archery: one of our mentors recently took his 14 year old mentee here, and raved about the instructor and experience. Check them out!
- ScienceWorks Hands-on Museum
- Lithia Park: walks and mountain biking
- Oredson-Todd Hiking Trails
- Saturday Farmer’s Market from 8:30 AM – 1:00 PM through October 30th, 2021.
Other Resources for Youth Mentors:
Study Find Praising Middle School Students Improves Behavior by Over 60% – Brigham Young University, August 25th, 2021
Mentor Resource Library from TeamMates Mentoring. Activity ideas, continuing mentor education, and links to more!
MENTOR: The National Mentoring Partnership’s mission is to fuel the quantity and quality of mentoring relationships for American’s young people and to close the mentoring gap.
FREE Webinars offered monthly on various mentoring topics.
The National Mentoring Resource Center offers no-cost training and technical assistance, including coaching, program assessment, and evidence reviews.
Institute for Youth Success focuses on best practices in mentoring. Visit their site for free trainings, blog posts, webinars and more!
Jackson and Josephine County Resource Guide – Feb 2020 A PDF file of local resources
Jackson and Josephine County Schools – Feb 2020 A PDF file of local schools
RVTD Bus Passes
RVTD has awarded RVM 50 6-ride bus passes for low income mentees from the Statewide Improvement Fund (STIF). If you know of a mentee who would benefit from free bus passes, please come by the office or give us a call. We are eager to support youth with their transportation needs.
Gift Certificates for Matches and Circles:
- Ashland Rotary Centennial Ice Rink (10-skate passes)
- Unknown if it will open for 2021-2022 season due to COVID
- Central Art Supply ($10 gift certificates)
- Coming Attractions Theatres ($20 gift cards) – Varsity Theatre (Ashland) & SouthGate Cinema (Grants Pass)
- Emigrant Lake Water Slides (seasonal)
- Science Works Youth Passes
- PLUS tons of art and beading supplies!
**Are you a local business that wants to donate gift cards? Contact Jenna: 541-708-6688 or Jenna@rvmentoring.org